During the last quarter we were delighted to show off the internal and external restoration of St John the Divine high Anglican Church, which dates back to 1904, when the English architect, G A H Dickson brought English parish church design of the late 19th century to Johannesburg. The church is a beautiful example of arts and crafts design (the marble baptismal font is a treasure) mixed with touches of Gothic revival. Led by Flo Bird and William Gaul, the church has been the major restoration project of the JHF during the past year; it’s a church with glorious stained glass windows. This was the church were Sir Julius Jeppe and the Thrupp family worshipped.
Excerpt from the JHF newsletter - October 2019