The 18th Annual Symposium of the Heritage Association of South Africa (HASA) will be held in Barberton, Mpumalanga from Wednesday, 17 October to Sunday, 21 October 2018. All lovers and students of heritage are welcome to attend.
Exploring the theme, 'The Genesis of Life', the programme will be co-hosted by HASA in association with Friends of the Museum Barberton and Mpumalanga Heritage.
With its rich natural and cultural heritage, combined with breathtaking scenery, Barberton has much to offer. The choice of venue for the symposium could also not be more appropriate. The Barberton Makhonjwa Mountains have recently been declared a World Heritage Site – the first in Mpumalanga. Various experts and academics will examine the history, geology and architecture of the region and excursions and exclusive viewings of heritage sites form part of the programme.
Highlights from the programme include (download full programme below notice)
Wednesday, 17 October 2018
- Evening drinks and informal networking hosted by the Lone Tree Shellhole.
Thursday, 18 October 2018
- Annual General Meeting of the Heritage Association of South Africa
- Optional partners' programme: Scenic game drive
- Optional partners' programme: Traditional Swazi cooking demonstration
- Emjindini Heritage Route tour
- Evening presentation on the history of the Swazi
- Evening presentation on the discovery of Komatiite
Friday, 19 October 2018
- Barberton heritage walk & update on the Rimer's Creek saga
- Explore NZASM structures of the Barberton branch line & the Old Pettigrew Wagon Route
- 2018 HASA gala and awards dinner
- Saturday, 20 October 2018
- Explore Barberton's Makhonjwa Geotrail located in a World Heritage Site
- Gold panning at the Barberton Museum Pits
Sunday, 21 October 2018
- Optional tours:
- Historic Sheba mausoleum, cemetery, mine & museum (morning)
- Option 1 + Bray's Golden Quarry (ends at 3pm)
- Options 1 & 2 + Eureka City (full day)
For general enquiries about the Symposium and to request a booking form contact Marjorie Nuns at email@example.com.
Note: Public interest in this year's symposium has been high, so we urge you to book your attendance as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.