During this visit we will focus on the antique furniture situated at Groote Schuur. The restoration expert Emmeke van der Meulen will discuss the provenance of the pieces, type of wood used at different periods, conservation and maintenance of the pieces and the variety of finishes and construction methods.
Emmeke van der Meulen underwent 7 years of restoration training in Brussels, founded a restoration company in Philadelphia, USA, founded a restoration school in Brussels, she also lectured Museology students at Stellenbosch University.
- Date: Tuesday 27 November at 10:00
- Price: R295pp. MCC and Christmas cake/mince pies will be served. Limited to 20 persons, subject to a minimum 10 bookings by 1 November. No wheelchair access. Organiser: Ian Pretorius (cell: 0837181984)
- Note: you must take your ID with you on the day. ID and car registration must be given to Pat when you book.
- Directions: Turn off opposite Rhodes Memorial on M3 into Princess Anne Ave. Continue to bend in road and turn left into Groote Schuur estate and stop at SAP check point where you must show your ID card.
- Duration: 2½ hours.
- Bookings: Email Pat firstname.lastname@example.org (Office hours Mon – Fri 08:30 – 13:00).
- The Foundation is not responsible for any injuries or loss incurred during outings. Members and their guests take part at their own risk.
- Please note non-members are charged an additional fee of R25pp for outings booked.
- Requests for concessions on outings could be discussed with Pat in confidence.
- Banking details: ABSA Wynberg Branch Code 632005. Account 38019980011 Savings Account Simon van der Stel Foundation. Please state your name in reference column.
- EFT payments please (cash payments attract bank fees).
- Only a limited number of people can be accommodated per outing. You are therefore advised to book early.
- Cancellation fee: 25%. Cancellations 1 week or less (5 working days) no refund.
- The organiser’s cell number is given at each outing. Make use of this service to establish whether an outing will proceed in case of inclement weather or to get directions. Use these numbers only on the day of the outing.