Pageview resident Adam Asvat was forcefully removed from Sophiatown in the 1950s. He moved to Pageview (affectionately called Fietas in those days), but when the apartheid government wanted to flatten Fietas, he put his foot down, and refused to move, and still lives there. Come along with me on his journey (we'll meet him at his house) and learn about Fietas in the Fietas Museum. We will move on to Fordsburg and hear about the fierce battle that ended the 1922 Miners' strike, with the government dropping bombs on the Fordsburg square.
We'll finish the tour with a delicious Indian meal at Dosa Hut in Fordsburg (for your account).
- Date: Tuesday, 25 February
- Meet: parking area of the Linden Swimming Pool
- Cost: R400 (which includes Fietas Museum entrance)
- Duration: 9am- 12pm (or 4 hours with lunch)
- It's a fascinating slice of Joburg history!
- Let me know! firstname.lastname@example.org