Led by heritage architect, Dr André van Graan, our Art Deco tour focuses on outstanding examples of “moderne” architecture in Cape Town’s centre, including Greenmarket Square, Darling Street and St George’s Mall. We start at Mullers which is still an optometrist, its original purpose which still has all the Art Deco fittings and furnishings (design writer, Paul Duncan, says in other countries such an interior would be in a museum). We finish at the impressive former headquarters of Old Mutual, the tallest building in Africa when it was built in 1939. Its banking hall remains largely untouched – we will have special access.
This is one of Culture Connect’s most popular walking tours; book soon as space is limited (please remember your mask and cancel if you are feeling unwell).
- Starting point: Mullers Optometrists, 104 Longmarket St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, 8001 (they close at 4:30pm but will be opening up specially for us)
- Finishing: Mutual Heights,14 Darling St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, 8000
- Two hours: 4:45pm for 5pm start; finish 7pm
- Early bird: R300 pre-pay or R400 cash on the evening
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org