The Simon van der Stel Foundation was founded on 8 April 1959 at a ceremony at the Castle. The purpose was to promote conservation of South Africa’s National Heritage – this included buildings, sites, townscapes, squares, objects and environments.
The Cape Town Branch was formed in the same year and has been actively involved over the years in preserving old buildings such as Coornhoop at Mowbray, the Sendinggestig Museum in Long Street, the Lutheran Church complex in Strand Street, the Boshof Gates at Newlands and the Van Reede van Oudsthoorn Vault in the Gardens. We were also involved in getting part of Tulbagh’s Church Street restored and in getting the Tokai Manor House restored.
Our foundation takes an active part in promoting Cape Town's history and heritage. By supporting the conservation and preservation of Cape Town's old buildings and historical places we help develop the cultural history of the beautiful Cape Peninsula.