JoburgPlaces is delighted to introduce a new walking tour, on offer on occasional Saturdays as and when advertised. The Money, Banks & Vaults Tour covers the historic financial district of the inner-city around Marshalltown. Many of the most historic buildings in this part of town are in fact erstwhile bank buildings. Money, banks and vaults were at the centre of the city’s gold-rush inception and rapid development. Get to experience these remarkable spaces and learn their fascinating stories.
Next tour dates:
- Saturday 9 June, 10am-3:30pm
- Saturday 30 June, 10am-3:30pm
Price: R495 per person
- including coffee with scones in the morning
- including a scrumptious harvest-table lunch with fruit cordial and soda. (Any other drinks for your own account)
Place we visit along the tour, include:
- City Central, 85 Commissioner Street (old Barclays Bank).
- National Bank House in Albertina Sisulu Street
- Zwipi Underground Bar at Thunder Walker/Somerset House, Gandhi Square (old United Building Society vault)
- Standard Bank Mine Shaft Museum
- Hollard Street Stock Exchange building
- JSE Newtown (old Stock Exchange on Diagonal Street).
As part of the tour, guests will enjoy a leisurely late-afternoon harvest table lunch at the Zwipi Undergroud Bar – a real privilege as this remarkable space will only open to the public by the end of July.
The Fourth Stock Exchange Building (The Heritage Portal)
Old JSE Building Newtown (The Heritage Portal)
Be sure to book his must-experience JoburgPlaces activity straight away. It involves mesmerising storytelling, delectable food and glimpses at astonishing hidden gems of the city.
Departure point: Gandhi Sculpture, Gandhi Square
To book contact Gerald Garner: email email@example.com or Whatsapp/text: 082 894 5216