The School of Architecture, Planning and Geomatics at the University of Cape Town seeks to appoint a Programme Convenor of the Master in Philosophy in Conservation of the Built Environment programme (3-Year Contract).
This is a part-time position (16 hours per week) at the level of a Senior Lecturer. The duties of the Programme Convenor entail the provision of intellectual direction to the programme, overseeing the administration of the programme, the coordination of part-time teaching staff and supervisors, and the teaching of course content and supervision of postgraduate research students.
Today, at a time of exciting change within the School and the University, we are seeking a candidate:
- with demonstrable knowledge and experience in both the academic discipline of heritage studies and professional heritage resource management.
- with a defined area of research in heritage studies and/or conservation of the built environment and/or heritage resource management.
- with an interest in, and passion for, the teaching of cultural critiques and research methods.
- with an ability to teach at the intersection of different disciplines through workshops and seminars to postgraduate students from a wide range of disciplines and professional experiences.
- who can bring leadership and new perspectives to our academic community in ways that are responsive to the broad social, economic and environmental transformational needs of this programme and the institution.
- a Masters degree in heritage studies, architecture, planning, archaeology or equivalent
- a record of research scholarship and/or professional experience in heritage studies, heritage resource management, and/or conservation of the built environment
- previous teaching experience at the undergraduate and/or graduate level
The annual cost of employment, including benefits, is between R202 121 – R291, 376.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file (max size 10Mb) to Ms Melanie Falken at email@example.com:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc);
- a 1-2 page statement of interest specifying the relevance of the applicant’s experience to the programme with a description of research, teaching, heritage resource management experience, etc;
- a detailed curriculum vitae; and
- a digital portfolio of representative work and/or publications.
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Shortlisted candidates may be required to deliver a short presentation to the School.
Telephone: (021) 650 5764 Website: www.apg.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E17118
Closing date: 12 July 2017
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. UCT reserves the right not to appoint.