JOIN AN EXCITING TOUR IN JAPAN LED BY JULIAN COOKE. ONLY 24 PEOPLE MAXIMUM
The tour will visit a mixture of traditional and contemporary Japanese architecture. It will start in Kyoto, a city with an extraordinary abundance of historical sites. We will visit the great Zen Buddhist temple precinct of Daitokoji, the Kiyomozo-dera complex in the forest above the city, the exquisite Gold Pavilion , the Nijo castle – and others. A day trip will take us to Nara to experience the early Buddhist temples there, some of the world’s largest and oldest timber buildings.
The next destination is Osaka, close to Kyoto, which is the centre of much of Tadao Ando’s work: the Saiyamake Museum and Chikatsu-Asuka Museum, and Naoshima, a small island in the Seto Inland Sea, with numerous museums, including a number by Ando, and contemporary outdoor art installations.
The bullet train will take us to Tokyo, a huge city bursting with new architecture. We will focus on the work of four architects: Kenzo Tange, Fumihiko Maki, Tadao Ando and Toyo Ito, but of course there is far more to see than that.
TOUR COST PER PERSON (excluding flight cost) IS £2,150.00 SHARING TWIN/DOUBLE ROOM SINGLE ROOM EXTRA £260.00
- 9 nights’ accommodation at centrally located business 3* and 3½* hotels in Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo on a bed & breakfast daily
- 7-day Japan Rail Pass allowing you unlimited travel on the entire Japan Rail network including Shinkansen (Bullet Train) services
- Airport Transfers in Japan for those passengers arriving and/or departing with the main group
- Private Coach in Kyoto on 13th and 14th June, in Osaka on 15th June, in Tokyo on 18th and 19th June.
- Welcome and Farewell Dinners
- Services of an expert Architect throughout
- Services of a knowledgeable Japan Journeys Tour Manager throughout
- Architectural Info Pack, maps and brochures
- Entrance fees (and transportation) to all named sites mentioned
- All Japanese sales tax and service charge
- Full financial protection via Japan Journeys’ membership of the Travel Trust Association through which your monies are held in a Trust Account until you return home (under Membership No U3078), see: http://www.traveltrust.co.uk
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- International Airfare
- Travel Insurance
- Other meals not mentioned
All prices estimates are based on a minimum of 20 persons travelling in June 2017. All price estimates are based on current rates of exchange.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: JULIAN COOKE AT Julian@claarchitects.co.za
Flights will be organised by SURE2TRAVEL. Contact person Wendy Watters firstname.lastname@example.org
Tour arrangements will be made by JAPAN JOURNEYS LTD. www.japanjourneys.co.uk